Wednesday, March 26, 2014

Toby's strength, Mom's weakness

Poor Toby. This is the first section in the book I feel any sort of sympathy for him (even if he might not deserve it). All I can say is he is definitely changing. As much as a jerk Dwight might be, he is kind of helping Toby become this stronger person. We can see that it's very rough for Toby at first, leaving his mom and having Dwight aggressively drive home, hitting animals with his car and smoking. I almost see Dwight as a vaccine of an illness that is injected into Toby's life, and the vaccine is working. It's helping Toby become stronger.
He really does suck it up and copes with his inner pain very well. Obviously many of Dwight's actions are not necessary, as seen by Norma and Skipper's empathy for Toby's suffrage.  It's a shame that Toby's change is kind of abusively forced, but it's working. Toby is actually becoming more of a man, and not relying on his mother to do everything for him as usual. I was shocked how Toby told his mom that everything was going "fine," when he saw her. I'm quite frankly proud of him, and probably wouldn't have done that myself. He just smiled and went off with charming Dwight.  My question is how long is Toby going to be able to keep this up, when is he going to break and release all his inner feelings that are building up inside? He keeps telling his mom these things that aren't true, why? I'm also getting the feeling that mom is unsure about moving in with Dwight. I get this feeling from her excessive assurance of what Toby wants and how he is. I'm sure most people have similar feelings.  

No comments:

Post a Comment